WILTON REPUBLICAN TOWN COMMITTEE
Unanimously approved June 2011
What do Republicans stand for? While it’s a question that may differ from state to state or even within the U.S. Congress, it is also a question that has very clear answers in Connecticut and, we believe, in Wilton. What differentiates Republicans from other parties is belief in and commitment to the core principles that may be uniquely American but nonetheless ring true for all citizens in every democracy. For example:
- We believe in the rights provided to American citizens by the United States Declaration of Independence. All government action should be measured against the US Constitution and Amendments.
- We believe that government should be small(er) and more efficient. Taxation on individuals, corporations and investments should be decided at the lowest level of government possible.
- We believe in the free enterprise system as the means to individual independence, self-reliance and sustainability.
- We believe a strong national defense depends on a strong military and the determination to use it if necessary.
- We believe that providing a high -quality and cost-effective school system within the financial limitations of our residents is an important core function of our local government.
- We believe that the best communities are represented by a mosaic of generations, from children to seniors; the financial resources and tax structure must provide for the ability of all generations to move to and stay in Wilton.
- We believe that the environment is a highly valuable and limited national resource which should be protected for future generations.